It is a custom that we offer Modagam/Kolukattai to Lord Vinayaga on His birthday, "Vinayagar chadhurthi"(விநாயகர் சதுர்த்தி) . Let us see an easy to do, delicious kolukattai here.
- Readymade Idiyappam flour - 2 cups
- Salt to taste
- Hot water
- Chana dal - a little (soaked in water for three hours and then boiled)
- Coconut grated - 1/2 cup
- Add a little salt to Idiyappam flour and then mix it well with hot water to dough.
- Chana dal, karuppatti and coconut are all mixed together to get what we call it the pooranam.
- A lemon sized Idiyappam flour is taken and cup shape is given. A little of the pooranam is placed at the centre and then is covered fully with the idiyappam flour.
- The shape should look like a bulb of garlic.
- Steam the kolukattai as we do for idli and your delicious kolukattai is ready in a few minutes.
May Lord Ganapathi give you success in all that you do! Happy Vinayagar Chadhurthi !