Remember Popeye eating spinach and gaining super energy? Yes, because Palak (Spinach) is an excellent source of many vitamins like K, A, B, E and C, manganese, folate, magnesium, iron, calcium and potassium. Also, it is a very good source of dietary fiber, copper, protein, phosphorus and zinc. Additionally it is known to be a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, niacin and selenium. And mutton is a great source of protein, niacin, vitamin B, and iron. Shall we get ready to prepare a mouth watering dish - Palak Gosht with these nutritious resources?
1/4 kg of mutton
6 bunches of spinach(palak)
Fresh coriander leaves
2 black peppercorns
1 tsp. of coriander powder
1 tsp. of red chilli powder
1 1/2 tsp. ginger paste
1 1/2 tsp. garlic paste
4 tsp. cooking oil
salt to taste
How to prepare:
1. Add 2 - 3 tsp. of oil in a pressure pan and heat. Add the grated ginger, black peppercorns and a small part of chopped onions to the oil and fry the onions for a few seconds.
2. Add the meat, a little salt and enough water. Close the pressure pan and allow the meat to cook until soft.
3. Once meat is cooked, drain out the water and keep aside as stock.
4. In another pan, heat the remaining oil. Add the remaining chopped onions and fry till light brown.
5. Add salt, coriander powder, red chilli powder, ginger paste, garlic paste and chopped coriander. Fry this mix thoroughly till oil leaves the sides of the pan.
6. Add tomatoes and spinach and a little of the meat-stock that you had kept aside. Cook until the tomatoes and spinach is done and the water has dried up. If necessary, add more of the stock to get a gravy.
7. Add the cooked meat to this mixture and stir fry till oil leaves the sides of the pan. Simmer for a while and garnish with chopped coriander.
Hmm....yummy! you will hear when it is served hot with chapati or rice. I tried this and had a great lunch!